Micah 6:8 “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love mercy and walk Humbly with your God.”
Living our faith through Outreach continues to be a big part of Lynnewood’s heart and soul. We are excited that we are completing our second year as a serving site for Open Heart Kitchen, as we continue to serve on 5th Wednesdays at Asbury UMC.
Our twice a year Rise Against Hunger food packing event is still the most popular program with our congregation, as all ages can participate. 10,000 meals in less than two hours!
The following are organizations and events that were served this year by Lynnewood through your Outreach program:
- Bundles of Joy program is still supplying newborn supplies to Axis Community Health.
- Graduation Baskets provided, full of household items for homeless families who have been given a second chance through the Tri Valley Haven.
- Volunteers participated several times this year sorting food and filling barrels for the Alameda County Community Food Bank over the holidays.
- Provided donations and collected school supplies and food items for Tri Valley Haven, and collected eyeglasses for the Lions Club.
- Donated new undergarments and collected used clothing for distribution at Open Heart Kitchen.
- Provided financial support for Hope Hospice, Pleasanton Counseling Center, Livermore Homeless Refuge, Sunflower Hill, Blankets for Kids, Sierra Service Project, Alameda County Community Food Bank, and Open Heart Kitchen.
- Continued partnership with Habitat for Humanity through donations and participation in workdays.
- Serving our world with special offerings through UMCOR as natural disasters occur.
- Continued to support Katherine Parker, our missionary in Nepal.
- Provided teams and/or funding for the Volunteers in Mission (VIM) trips to help those who suffered devastating fires in California (Lake County), floods in Baton Rouge, LA, hurricane damage in
- Texas and an Early Response Team trip to Puerto Rico.
- Provided funding for the Wheelchair Foundation and through a VIM trip distributed 100 wheelchairs.
- Participated in a painting workday for Tri Valley Haven’s Sojourner House, a shelter for homeless families.
- Support Heifer International with our annual dinner.
- Sharing the Holiday Season with those less fortunate through our Giving Tree.
- Providing an Alternative Giving Christmas Catalog which offers different gift ideas by suggesting charitable organizations which need support.
- Financial support for the circuit’s refugee family and Partners for Change.
Additional organizations funded by Outreach during first half of 2019: CityServe, Spectrum Community
Services (Meals on Wheels) and Rooms of Hope.